In my spare time I hang out with people I would call Explorers. They belong to a tribe of characters that are PASSIONATE about riding that next wave, getting that next BIG JUMP and are always looking for adventure. I love hanging out with these types of people.
So why should it be any different when we go to work?
In a previous post “Explorers will Deliver BIG WINS for the Planet” we highlighted the three main characteristics of an Explorer. They need to be Connecting to solve problems, be committed to a certain Domain where they seek mastery and be willing to Quest for new solutions.
So now if these are the type of people that you need to find for your organization, what should you look for? Listed in descending order, these are the top 10 predictors of whether a person is a passionate worker and suitable to be an EXPLORER in your company.
Here is the Explorer Check List
1. To what extent do you love your work?
2. In my job I’m encouraged to work on projects I am interested in, outside of my direct responsibilities.
3. In my job I’m encouraged to work cross-functionally.
4. I try to incorporate outside perspectives into my work.
5. I talk to my friends about what I like about my work.
6. I usually find myself working extra hours, even though I don’t have to.
7. In my most recent performance evaluations, I was rated as meeting or exceeding expectations.
8. I choose to be available to work 24/7, sometimes even on vacations.
9. My company provides opportunities to connect with others in my industry
10. My company often engages with customers to innovate new product/service ideas.
For more in depth information on finding your own EXPLORERS here is the link to the main article. Passion at Work.